Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Big Moment

Twenty-five years and six ministries ago I told a young man in my youth group that God had His hand on his life and that I just knew that he was called to ministry. He said, ‘No, he didn’t think so’! But I saw his heart for people and his heart for God shining through his 16 year old personality.  He was always pointing kids to God and he was just plain bold about it. I think God wired his DNA that way. It was a ‘calling’ that was so obvious that even a young inexperienced youth pastor could see it.  This weekend I am participating in his ordination council and giving a charge at his ordination service on Sunday. I only have one thing to say - it’s about time!  Even though he still builds snowmen, Eric isn’t a kid anymore. He has a braided, gray goatee. Really! Eric graduated from Bible College years ago and then served as a youth pastor. A faithful husband and father of two, soon to be grandfather, foster parent and engaged leader in his church - the last 2 and a half decades have repeatedly and clearly shown God’s hand on his life. What a cool thing that his church wants to make it official & I get to participate.

It is a big moment for me and Kris - to bless and be blessed by Eric and Terri. We are looking forward to it. Eric wouldn’t have made it this far without Terri ministering at his side! (I believe we had a part in that too!) It’s also a big moment for the body of Christ. Ozark Mountain Community Church and Aspen Ridge Church have come together across two states to acknowledge how God has connected His body for His work.
It’s also a big moment (that makes a trinity of big moments!) for Ozark Mountain Community Church to recognize God at work in one of her own. God works through His organized church!  He calls us to serve together and recognize his gifting and leadership. Just like a good marriage is publicly recognized & celebrated, so a good church publicly honors her leaders!  What a privilege to be invited to participate in God’s work in the life of a church and the life of an individual God has graced me to touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment