Monday, February 10, 2014

The rich life of an apprentice

In Luke 12:15 Jesus 'double dog' warns his apprentices to 'beware and be on guard' against 'the desire for more' - commonly known as greed. Of course no one is greedy; while at the same time everyone wants more. But Jesus is concerned that the inner life of the apprentice be rich.  He places before us two very important qualities (Luke 12:15-34) that can only be gained if we protect our hearts.  These are contentment and trust.  More money will not make you a better apprentice of Jesus Christ and neither will worrying about your life.  Jesus is not interested in making your boss or your family give you what you deserve.  He is interested that your soul reflect a profound contentment with what he has blessed you with and that you are fearlessly possessing his kingdom.  'Do not be afraid little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.' v32 Jesus affectionately recognizes our vulnerability by calling us his 'little flock'.  Sheep were pretty dependent and a little flock is pretty unimpressive. But our Father has chosen the apprentice for kingdom work and he is pretty stoked about what he's going to do as we trust him. So don't look at the steep challenge. Instead of being motivated by more stuff or worrying about our lives we are to champion the kingdom.  We forgive everyone, everything, always. We honor the truth and live grace. We bring healing, comfort and wholeness to a hurting world.  Jesus hyperbolic way of speaking was meant to jolt the apprentice into seeing life from an eternal perspective. 

I purchased a Valkyrie Cruiser about a year ago.  For the uninitiated, this is a classic Honda Goldwing without the bling. How does an apprentice justify such a thing?  Here are 5 simple questions I ask myself:

1. Is it practical?
2. Can I afford it?
3. How does it increase my usefulness to Jesus? 
4. Does it bring me closer to God?
5. Does it bring more joy or more stress into my life?

The answer on all counts is 'yes'.  The wife of a devoted biker asked me a week ago: 'My husband says that riding his motorcycle makes him feel closer to God. Is that true with you?'  Without hesitation I responded 'of course'.  It's true. But the thing that has truly surprised me is how it has opened up ministry for me with a whole new tribe of people I never knew existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment