Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The contagion of contentment.

‘Do everything without grumbling so that you will become happy children of God dancing around drawing smiles in a dark, grumpy world.’ Philippians 2: 14-16 (My paraphrase)

Grumbling is discontentment in disguise. It lets the world subtly know that I’m just not happy with the lack of cooperation I’m getting.  Things just are not quite up to my expectations. I let the world know with a toss of my head, a roll of the eyes or perhaps a deep ‘pregnant with meaning’ sigh.  A small gesture suggests that this world exists to make me happy & I’m just not feeling it! Is it just me or is this the polar opposite of humility?  God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Can a nonverbal grumble speak that loudly? Compare what happens when we resist grumbling. If we do ‘everything without grumbling’ we will ‘become children of God above reproach’ in a grumpy, twisted world - ‘holding out the word of life.’ (Phil2:14,15) Two things happen - we become strong on the inside and a shining example of real living!  In other words, our contentment gives hope to a tired, grumpy, confused world.  Now that’s something worth celebrating!
So next time someone grumbles around you - don’t respond with sympathy.  It is not harmless. Grumbling is deadly. It steals your joy while promoting your self-righteousness. Don’t give in to discontent. Bees buzz. Grumblers grumble. Children giggle.  Don’t be a grumpy!

No comments:

Post a Comment