Wednesday, July 18, 2012

an unlikely moment


Invited over for a shoulder roast.  Who can resist that?  Not to mention the salt water taffy and banana pudding.  There is no agenda.  The dogs play tag for the bone.  The sun is setting.  The man of the house and I sit on the back porch discussing the amazing sun that in a few hours will rise directly in front of us. With no introduction he says to me enthusiastically, Let’s pray’.  Personally, I don't feel like praying.  It has been a long day. My stomach is uncomfortably full. I am feeling more like just shootin’ the breeze and relaxing. We prayed.  It starts slow.  I force some words out, struggling to make my mind form thoughts expressed in a worthy manner before God.  Funny thing is that the further we progress the easier it gets.  We pray with gratitude and tears.  Soon we are simply praising and worshiping God.  I think of the Apostle Paul in a cell writing to young Timothy, passing on the baton of faith, (what he called ‘the battle of faith’) out of nowhere he bursts into prayer - ‘Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.’ (I Timothy 1:17) Do our lives interrupt prayer or does prayer interrupt our lives? Perhaps our lives are simply composed of different ways to pray. Prayer and worship spring out - at any time, any place in a God drenched world. There is nowhere to hide!

No comments:

Post a Comment