Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The best vacation ever

I’m back from the best vacation ever. No, we didn’t go on a safari to Africa or even a cruise.  Here’s what we did. We headed off to Louisiana for a family wedding.  Staying with family can be tricky - and there must have been 20 of us crowded into a single family dwelling. We even discovered people sleeping on couches when we got up.  We worked together, played together, ate together and sent off a happy couple into marital bliss. Then we headed up to my son’s new home - another thousand miles.  I helped him move a couple tons of landscaping rock - one wheel barrel at a time - with a lot of good conversation.  Later my wife and I took turns riding shotgun on his police shift. It was better than an amusement park ride - lights, sirens, plenty of quick turns and even a little drama! Before we left we crowded into the doctor’s check up room together to watch our grandchild-to-be in action a-la-sonogram. He stretched this way and that. It was a truly astonishing picture of new life as we caught him exploring his world of mommy's  womb.  And as an added bonus - as the nurse took measurements - we discovered his gender together! Next we traveled north for my wife’s parent’s fiftieth anniversary celebration.  Again - a lot of family members crowded into a single family dwelling for a raucous 3 days and nights of meals, laughter, and planning - followed by me preaching at the church where I met my wife some 29 years ago.  That afternoon we celebrated 50 years of covenant marriage with some 200 friends and family and lots of cake. What could be better than celebrating a wedding, a new life, and 50 years of God-honoring matrimony in less than two weeks? God is good.  The icing on the cake? No car problems. No family drama. (You know what I mean:)  It doesn’t get any better than that!    

No comments:

Post a Comment