Thursday, August 23, 2012

Driven or Overflow

Busy Christians often feel driven to ministry. Right now we have a drive on to get 25 people to come each Sunday simply to serve from 9 'til noon. God gifts us for a reason! It’s how churches thrive. After skipping lunch to share with ‘the woman at the well’ a refreshed Jesus told his surprised disciples ‘My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me & to accomplish His work.’ John 4:34 However, you can’t just add ministry to your busy life and expect great things. Ministry must grow out of freshness.

Tired, irritable folks do not good ministers make, believe me, I’ve tried! We must serve God from an overflow of inner life not a frantic ‘ought to’ that drives us from morning until night!  As the Apostle Paul wrote - ‘Righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit - that’s the kingdom of God.’
Jonathan Edwards described the act of creation as an overflow of God’s goodness. I like that!

Jesus said, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, from his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.” Jn7:38 Let - ‘spring up o well, within my soul’ be our prayer! I can’t sing on paper, but if I could I would - ‘If you can use anything Lord you can use me.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment