Thursday, August 16, 2012

Horizontal living

Live horizontally not vertically.  Admittedly this comparison is of my own making.  But after years of measuring ministry in dollars, building programs, and this week’s church attendance I think I've earned it! Living vertically means that I try to measure success by how God appears to be blessing my efforts and plans this week. Here’s the rub, God often doesn’t let us see the results of our efforts for good reasons:
(1) Pride lurks in the shadows. CS Lewis wrote that God often keeps the results of our efforts from us because as soon as we’re aware of accomplishing something pride cancels out the value.
(2) God jealously reserves the glory for Himself. After all, He is the One working His good pleasure and I am privileged to participate - not the other way around!
(3) God is often doing something we aren’t anticipating.  (And He usually doesn’t consult me about what He’s up to.)

Perhaps last week’s giving or church attendance is not the sum total of what God is up to in our church!  Transformation often comes at the cost of brokenness and full awareness of my desperate need for God. Joy is maximized when God catches me by surprise with the unexpected.  Vertical ministry looks for results now - like the little boy who digs up the seed he planted yesterday to see how it’s doing! J Patience. God is sovereign. He works in His time not mine.  I plant seeds. God brings them to life - in His timing.  I’m good with that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment