Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Garage Sale


What do you think when I say ‘Garage Sale’?  For those who love to treasure hunt - I can see your eyes light up!  However, what do you think when I say, ‘Let’s have a garage sale’? For two years, since we moved here, my wife has wanted to have a garage sale. We were recently discussing it, intensely. For me it is just a lot of work with very little to show for it.  Admittedly I am not a garage sale junkie. 'My time is worth more,' I say indignantly.  Yeah, you guessed it, last week we had a garage sale. It took a week of stress and organization and a weekend of purgatory for about 68 dollars and 52 cents! 
Be that as it may, after spreading the signs around the neighborhood and setting up - I am back inside the house when I am surprised by laughter coming from the garage.  It is always good to hear laughter. It lightens up the entire day. But that is not all. There is a steady flow of folks from the neighborhood.  ‘Remember me?’ says John from around the corner.  Another neighbor asked if she could add a few things to enrich our garage sale.  Of course! Soon a couple teenagers are hanging around. A regular community shows up, not to mention that my wife is working side by side with a friend and they were not lacking for conversation! I wonder how you spell the garage sale of life? Is it m-o-r-e m-o-n-e-y?  Is it g-e-t r-i-d o-f o-l-d s-t-u-f-f?  Perhaps life is best spelled c-o-m-m-u-n-i-t-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment