Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Saturday mornings at Mimi's

I have a pastor friend who hates elder board meetings.  He's loving ministry, but those meetings are a killer!  I understand my friends dislike of such meetings but I actually look forward to them.  In fact, when I accepted the call to come to AR I asked that the elders agree to weekly meetings, complete with a signed covenant.  As a result our personal lives have bonded and our committment to God's work at AR has deepened. 
We often meet on Saturday mornings at Mimi's. The informal setting over breakfast and coffee encourages us to talk about our lives and leads into church business at hand.  Meeting weekly means that we can process life together and deal with church stuff as it comes up. This Saturday we discussed Acts 6:4 and our calling as elders to 'devote ourselves to prayer'.  We discussed prayer. Then we prayed for our church family - from personal needs to corporate needs - from worship to petitions for awakening, trust, patience & transformation.  We prayed that our church and our lives would be a 'bent pipe' not a 'stove pipe' reflecting God's glory.  Oh yeah, and we almost forgot that we had a matter of church business to discuss. Me thinks we had the balance right!  As we left I commented at how quickly 2 hours can go.  One of the guys responded, 'Two hours? More like three!'  I can't imagine a better way to spend a Saturday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment