Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Two kinds of people

I have it on good authority (the old classic ‘What about Bob’ starring Richard Dreyfus and Bill Murray) that ‘There are only two kinds of people. Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don’t.’  My wife and I decided to test this theory and as we set out for a wedding 1,000 miles away we were packing 30+ vintage Neil Diamond songs. We bopped along to: ‘You and me are subject to the blues now and then but when you take the blues and make a song you sing ‘em out again.’ We sang with abandon. (Join us :) ‘Sweet Caroline, (bum! bum! bum!) good times never seemed so good.’ (Didn't that feel good?) The sun was coming up. My sleepy daughter comments from the back seat – ‘I’m not big on Neil Diamond but I like the mood it puts you and mom into.’  I notice a Neil Diamond pattern.  When he's lonely he revels in song or drink (‘Cracklin’ Rosie’ – just sayin’) or women. When he sings: ‘I’ve got an emptiness deep inside and I’ve tried but it won’t let me go.’ We sing along.  ‘Funny thing, you can sing it with a cry in your voice, then you start to feeling good you simply got no choice.’ And yes it does feel good. Family and celebration are waiting in Louisiana.  Singing the blues out with Neil feels great! But something's missing in his music. I am not ‘lost and I don’t know why’! Jesus is the Rock and He rolled my blues away! There are two kinds of people.  Those who exult in a God drenched world and those who are still searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment